Frequently asked questions about SIP panels
SIP panels (structural insulated panels) are a modern and high-performance building system, designed for residential construction and light commercial construction.
Panels consist of an insulating foam core, sandwiched between two structural layers, typically fiber-oriented boards (OSBs). SIP panels are manufactured under factory-controlled conditions, so they can be adapted to virtually any construction project.
The result is a building system that is extremely durable, energy-efficient and economical.
No special foundation is required to build a house made of SIP panels. Piles or concrete block foundation will suffice here.
It is worth paying attention to the exact leveling of the foundation, because any irregularities cannot be corrected later when erecting walls. Each SIP panel must be evenly positioned on the foundation protected by damp proof course.
Today, there is a large selection of SIP structural boards on the market. They differ primarily in the material from which the outer covering layers are made. Among the most popular boards are OSB. The dimensions of the panels are factory adapted to the specific construction.
Consumers are also interested in boards made of cement. The advantage of them is lightness and durability, but their price is slightly higher compared to other boards.
SIP panels are a very versatile construction material. They can be used on many levels in construction. For example, in the construction of a frame house, SIP panels can be used as self-supporting external walls, partition walls, ceilings, cladding boards or as floor slabs. SIP panels can also be used as an additional thermal insulation material.
The main advantages of houses made of SIP panels are:
- thermal insulation – SIP panels, in addition to structural advantages, also have insulating properties. The thickness of the panels is several centimeters, however, the core itself filling the outer layers causes a low thermal resistance index. The best insulation solution are boards filled with polyurethane foam.
- high strength in various weather conditions – SIP panels meet the required standards which allow them to be used as the main material in construction in difficult weather conditions. They are characterized by high fire resistance, frost resistance, wind protection, moisture protection and protection against high temperatures.
- resistance to most chemical compounds – SIP panels are resistant to compounds such as organic solvents or acids. Thanks to the limited amount of wet ingredients when building a prefabricated house, it is better protected against the appearance of mold or fungi.
- energy efficiency – maintaining the optimal air temperature in houses made of SIP panels is definitely easier. An energy-efficient house made of SIP panels is characterized by the fact that you can control the humidity and temperature of the air entering it. This results in a reduction in heat consumption in the autumn and winter season.
- roof covering to choose from – the big advantage of SIP panels is that roofs made of them can be finished with any roofing (sheet metal tiles, roofing felt, shingles or tiles).
- finishing the house inside and outside – finishing the house with SIP panels is no different from finishing a house built in a traditional way. This means that SIP panels can be plastered, finished with wooden, brick or natural stone cladding. Inside, the walls can be just painted or wallpapered.
- High insulation and energy efficiency
SIP panels are made of materials that exhibit high thermal resistance. In addition, the use of appropriate connectors during their installation minimizes the formation of thermal bridges, which in effect ensures a well-insulated, uniform surface.
- Slim design
The construction of SIP panels is much thinner than a wall insulated using mineral wool or polystyrene foam with similar thermal transmittance.
SIP panels, thanks to their properties, can be used to create roofs and load-bearing external walls.
SIP panels do not absorb moisture and do not lose these properties over the years of use. Their tightness is due to the filling with low-pressure foam. SIP panels are also characterized by a high level of resistance to steam and air.
- Fire resistance
The panels have an impact on the precise control of temperature and humidity of the air supplied to ventilation and air conditioning. In addition, they reduce the consumption of energy necessary for heating or cooling the building.
Absolutely, yes! Because houses made of SIP panels are built on light foundations. Therefore, the construction time is much shorter than in traditional construction. Investment costs are also reduced.
An experienced construction team familiar with the technology of building houses with SIP is able to build it in just a few weeks. Building a house consists in connecting plates using the spline method, using self-tapping screws (the joints are sealed with polyurethane foam).
Energy-efficient houses made of SIP panels provide several options as to the choice of heating system. In houses based on SIP technology, solid fuel boilers, gas or electric heating can be used. Those interested in energy efficiency solutions can also invest in a heat pump.
A passive house, just like an energy-efficient house made of SIP panels, is a very good solution for reducing its maintenance costs. Both of these solutions are later characterized by lower bills than houses erected in traditional construction. A passive house differs from a house made of SIP panels in that it imposes certain solutions from above. A detailed house design and a plot with specific parameters are required. More freedom can be obtained when building energy-efficient houses with SIP panels, where investment in renewable energy sources is recommended. For energy-efficient homes, a heat pump that provides cheap heating and photovoltaic panels that draw electricity from solar radiation are ideal.
Many structural elements of the building, including roofing, can be created from SIP panels. The roof made of SIP panels can be finished with sheet metal tiles, roofing felt, shingles or tiles.
Installation for a house built in traditional technology or from SIP panels should always be designed by a specialist. You should think carefully about all elements of the installation, as subsequent changes may be cumbersome or impossible.
The costs of individual SIP panels depend on the price, quality of the adhesive and the materials used for their production.
Do you want to build a house with SIP technology or are you thinking about such a solution?
Contact us, we will provide you with all the necessary informations.